Black Hills Astronomical Society
Rapid City, South Dakota, USA
The Black Hills Astronomical Society
(BHAS) meets on the third
Monday of every month
(September through May),
Museum, 222 New
York Street. Our meetings begin with a
program to which the public is invited free of charge.
Following the program, we have a business meeting which is
open to all who are interested.
Our "Star Parties" are held on scheduled Friday evenings in the summer at the Hidden Valley Observatory starting at dusk unless the sky is cloudy or the moon is too near to full. There is no charge, but donations are welcome.
Click here for Meeting Dates and Presentation Titles & Star Party Dates -- revised 08/11/2018
BHAS Officers for 2018
George Gladfelter, President
Ellen Madden, Vice President Richard Walker, Observatory Director
Chris Konvalin, Treasurer Jim Grimes, Deputy Observatory Director
· About Us
· Almanac <--- revised 09/24/2018
· See us on FaceBook and at sdbhas.org
astrophotography images by BHAS member(s).
Images contributed by Richard Walker
More images by members
Transit of Venus on June 5, 2012 - A very rare event.
Members Only News and Information - password protected, contact web site editor (below) for the password. <---- revised 04/18/2017
· Star Party Workshops and Observing Session Etiquette <- revised 5/30/2016
· Hidden Valley Observatory
· Our By-Laws in case you are interested in what we consider our mission to be, or how we operate.
· Equipment for sale / Equipment wanted - This list is offered for convenience and BHAS makes no representations concerning the equipment listed, or about the sellers or buyers. Revised 6/09/12.
· Buffalo Gap National Grasslands Observing Site
· Red Shirt Observing Site
· BHAS Members' Telescope List <- revised 12/04/2015
· Bibliography - a few suggestions for further reading
· About J.C. High Eagle - our featured speaker on October 15, 2012
· A list of interesting external web sites
BHAS members are encouraged to submit appropriate information and materials for posting on this website.
Questions/comments about this website? Contact Website Editor George - (6 0 5) 3 4 8 - 0 3 4 9.